8 things you can do to increase belonging and experience acceptance by others.
Being accepted rather than rejected! While these ideas are intended to give you perspective and insights. You don’t need to have the acceptance of everyone. That is simply too idealistic and unnecessary in becoming an effectively functioning human being!
We strive to make all kinds of connections during our life. We all have a longing to belonging. There isn’t anything we won’t do to be accepted and will do anything to reject rejection. Here are 8 things you can do to increase belonging and experience acceptance by others.
1) Demonstrate a personal interest in others challenges and life’s journey. Show empathy for what others are struggling with or going through.
2) Seek first to understand, then be understood. Become a reflective listener focused on others ideas.
3) Be generous with your compliments and encouragement to everyone you meet. Everyone has dignity and worth!
4) Extend numerous invitations to others about their gifts and capabilities. Tweet positive comments about your classmates /colleagues!
5) Reject Rejection! Connect with people who accept you and all your flaws. It’s better to have one non- judgmental friend than numerous conditional relationships.
6) Everyone is branded by others whether we want to be or not. Be intentional about branding yourself. Avoid letting others define you and brand you!
7) Develop proficiencies, assets and skills that set you apart and add value to your life so that you will be welcomed and posses marketable skills. Always do more than expected!
8) In the end only kindness matters! Intentional acts of kindness are never forgotten and treasured by others. A proactive and essential way to connect and belong!
Gene Bedley, Author of Character Lessons for Life
Outstanding National Educator of the Year